I’m a senior editor at TIME, overseeing TIME’s History coverage and online archives, among other things. Here is an article in Capital New York that explains what exactly that means: Time.com Opens Its ‘Vault.’ You can subscribe to our weekly newsletter here.
I also write occasionally. Highlights of my writing for the magazine include:
- ‘We’re All Growing Up Together’: As Sesame Street Turns 50, Big Bird Is Still Making Friends Everywhere He Goes, TIME, 18 November 2019.
- Conductor Yannick Nézet-Séguin Is Ushering in a New Act for the Metropolitan Opera, TIME, 13 May 2019.
- There’s a Real-Life Inspiration for Game of Thrones’Valyrian Steel. Here’s How Its Long-Lost Secrets Were Revealed, TIME.com, 22 April 2019.
- Why History Looks Different Through a Mother’s Eyes, TIME, 15 April 2019.
- As Grand Canyon National Park Turns 100, Its Chief Ranger Plans for the Next Century, TIME, 7 March 2019.
- Historian Doris Kearns Goodwin Looks to Past Presidents for Lessons the World Could Use Right Now, TIME, 17 September 2018.
- The Rest Is History: Ron Chernow Talks Grant, Hamilton and American Legacies. TIME, 16 October 2017.
- The Incredible Story Behind a Haunting Picture of a POW in Vietnam. TIME.com, 14 Sept. 2017
- ‘I Had to Do It’: One Syrian’s Astonishing Journey to the United States. TIME.com, 20 June 2017
- 10 Questions With John Lewis. TIME, 10 April 2017.
- 10 Questions With Akhil Reed Amar. TIME, 25 August 2016.
- The Fish That Didn’t Get Away. TIME, 30 June 2016
- Why It’s Easier Than Ever to Get Great Advice—If You Know Where to Look. TIME, 2 November 2015.
- Remembering the Apollo 11 Moon Landing With the Woman Who Made It Happen. TIME.com, 20 July 2015.
- The Great Pumpkin Race. TIME.com, 17 October 2014.
- The Last Will and Testament of a Millennial. TIME.com, 16 October 2014.
- Good Humor Woman. TIME, 5 June 2014.
- The What, Where, When and How of Betty Who. TIME, 3 April 2014.
- On the Night Train with Wes Anderson. TIME, 27 February 2014.
- 10 Questions for Sinéad O’Connor. TIME, 25 November 2013.
- You Can’t Scare America. TIME, 28 October 2013.
- I talked about this story on Marketplace
- 10 Questions for Yoko Ono. TIME, 16 September 2013.
- Rewound. TIME, 12 August 2013.
- Funny Side Up. TIME, 22 July 2013.
- J.K. Rowling’s Secret: A Forensic Linguist Explains How He Figured It Out. TIME.com, 15 July 2013.
- Patton Oswalt on the Unsavory Business of Joke Theft. TIME.com, 20 June 2013.
- The New Cinema of Stuff. TIME, 10 June 2013.
- 10 Questions for Stephenie Meyer. TIME and TIME Video, 15 April 2013.
Other selected print and web work:
A Cultural History of Mansplaining. TheAtlantic.com, 1 November 2012.
“Males—Minimize Exaggerated or Theatrical Movements.” Slate, 27 April 2012.
Emancipation of the Minors. Slate, 3 April 2012.
Murray Lender, the Man Who Brought Bagels to the Masses. The Washington Post, 23 March 2012.
I Am Gal, Hear Me Roar. TheAtlantic.com, 5 March 2012.
- Interview on CBC Radio Q about the word “gal”: listen here.
Why I Am Proudly, Strongly, and Happily in Favor of Adverbs. TheAtlantic.com, 1 December 2011.
“I’d Very Still”: Anthropology of a Lapsed Fan. Popmatters.com, 15 April 2011.
- Full story now available in book anthology, Joss Whedon: The Complete Companion: The TV Series, the Movies, the Comic Books and More: The Essential Guide to the Whedonverse. More information available on Amazon.
Greenwood Ceremony Recalls Radio Milestone. The Brooklyn Eagle, 7 October 2010.
The Aye Has It. Bust magazine, December 2009.